FUT hair transplantation involves removing a strip of hair from the “donor” area, where the strip of hair loss is low and hair growth is still strong. The area where the hair root is removed is stitched and leaves a linear scar on the scalp.
The strip containing hair follicles is divided into grafts consisting of one or two follicles. Follicular units contain sebaceous glands (sebaceous glands), nerves, small muscles, and some fine hairs, including thick hairs.
Thousands of these follicular grafts are divided into small incisions and implanted in bald areas of the patient’s scalp, known as “recipient areas”, in one session. Hair growth from these grafts follows a normal growth pattern and shows no signs of surgery.
What exactly happens during the FUT procedure?
The follicular unit transplant method or strip method of hair transplant includes the following:
1- The doctor numbs the scalp superficially.
2- A strip of your own hair tissue is removed from what is called the donor area or the area where your hair is resistant (meaning it is less likely to go bald or fall out).
3- Then the doctor stitches the tissue of the area from where the hair was removed. This is a small, superficial wound that is easily covered by your remaining hair.
4- The donor strip is cut into unique follicular units by a precise microscopic dissection process.
5-Then the doctor makes small holes with a drill on your head where the hair loss occurred and inserts the follicular transplant units.
6- Disinfectant solution is slowly applied to your scalp.
7- Your donor area is covered with a bandage.
At the end of the procedure, the doctor will ask you to wear a cap or headband to protect your head for a few days.
Advantages of the FUT method
* A large number of follicles can be transplanted in one session.
* Provides better hair yield compared to other hair methods.
* Increases growth and provides a natural appearance to hair as soon as it grows.
* It is more affordable than other hair methods such as FIT and SUT methods.
Risks and disadvantages of FUT method
* During the numbing process, you experience discomfort or itching, which is temporary.
* The experience of hair loss after surgery is temporary. Hair usually grows back within 3-6 months.
* If proper care is not taken during and after surgery, you will have local inflammation and infection.
* Wound in the place where the donor tape was removed.
* Longer recovery period, because it is an invasive procedure.
* Avoid any type of vigorous activity for at least 4 weeks after surgery.
Recommendations before FUT hair transplantation
When you feel that you are physically ready for hair transplantation, follow the recommendations before hair transplantation and visit the clinic:
* If you are taking any type of blood thinning medication, please discuss it with your doctor as it may interfere with the surgery.
* If you are using beta blockers, inform your doctor immediately.
* If you use inhalation sprays, you must take it with you to the clinic or bring it with you on the day of surgery.
* For two weeks after surgery, cut your hair and leave at least half of your hair intact on the back and sides of the stitched area so that you can cover the stitched area.
* Before the operation, your scalp should not be sunburned.
* Do not take any anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for a week before the operation.
* Do not take any B or E vitamins, this includes any multivitamin, for a week before the procedure, as these pills increase bleeding.
* Medicines prescribed for you, such as heart and blood pressure medicines, must be taken exactly as prescribed even on the day of surgery.
* If you smoke or drink alcohol, stop smoking and drinking alcohol two weeks before the surgery, smoking and drinking alcohol can interfere with the healing process.
* If you dye your hair regularly, please dye your hair three days before the procedure. To be sure, clean your scalp every day. On the day of the surgery, your scalp must be free of any color substances.
* You should consult with your doctor about washing your hair on the day of the surgery and do it at his discretion.
* Massage the donor area specified by the doctor with your hands for ten minutes every day in order to make the skin of that area flexible and loose.
* Some doctors may ask you to eat breakfast and lunch before surgery, while others may ask you to refrain from eating and drinking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Please follow your doctor’s instructions.
* Some doctors may advise you to wash your hair completely on that day and some of them do not have such advice. Please follow your doctor’s instructions.
* Do not apply hair sprays or other cosmetic hair products on the day of surgery.
* Avoid drinking any caffeinated beverages on the day of surgery.
Care after FUT hair transplantation
* After hair transplant, sleep in a semi-sitting position. This will help reduce swelling quickly and prevent you from accidentally touching the areas where the transplanted hair follicles are.
* Avoid touching, scratching and rubbing the area where the hair follicle is transplanted (implanted area).
* Some doctors advise you to gently shampoo your hair the day after surgery, but others do not.