Did you know that many of the visible signs of aging in the face are caused by loss of volume? With age, the skin tissues become thinner and facial lines, which are usually seen around the nose, mouth, eyes, and cheeks, deepen and turn into obvious wrinkles.
Gel injection or using other dermal filler injection methods can compensate for this lost volume and smooth facial wrinkles. Of course, removing wrinkles is only one of the uses of this treatment method, and it can be used to increase the volume of lips, lift eyebrows, remove facial dimples, and other things that we have discussed in detail below.
What is gel injection?
Fillers, fillers, or skin volumizers are substances that have a gel-like structure and are used to rejuvenate the skin. The injection of dermal fillers under the skin can be used to compensate for lost volume, remove wrinkles, and improve the surface curves (contour) of the face and body.
Due to reasonable costs and very few side effects, more than 1 million men and women use this treatment method to rejuvenate their skin every year. It is interesting to know that the injection of skin fillers is the most widespread method of skin rejuvenation in the world after Botox injection.
Applications of gel injection
Most people know dermal fillers as a way to fill and remove facial wrinkles. The effect of gels on facial wrinkles is amazing; But this method of rejuvenation has many more uses than these. Most applications of gel injections are approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration of the United States of America). Some uses have not yet been approved by the FDA; But they are very safe and effective. In the following, we tried to mention most of the uses of gel injection for skin rejuvenation.
FDA approved uses
* Using gel for volume: dermal fillers can be used to highlight and increase the volume of lips, chin and cheeks. Most people know this application by the name “prosthesis”.
* Removing wrinkles: gel injection can be used to remove wrinkles such as forehead lines, frown lines, laugh lines, lines around the lips and nose.
* Facial volume: One of the most unpleasant effects of skin aging is the reduction of facial volume. We usually see this effect on the lips, cheeks and eyelids. Gel injection is one of the most effective ways to compensate for lost volume. This method can be used to remove dimples and dark circles under the eyes, lift eyebrows, and remove sagging skin on the face and neck.
* Rejuvenation of hands: In addition to rejuvenating the face, skin fillers can also be used for rejuvenating the skin of the body. Among the uses of dermal fillers for the body, only for rejuvenating and increasing the volume of the back of the hands has been approved by the FDA, and other uses (which we have mentioned below) have not yet been approved.
* Nose beauty: Correcting the shape of the nose without surgery is one of the interesting applications of gel injection.
Uses not approved by the FDA
Non-approval of a treatment method by the FDA does not necessarily mean that the method is inappropriate or risky. The FDA organization has special instructions for approving drugs and treatment methods, which sometimes causes them to be disapproved. Anyway, FDA rules are approved by doctors all over the world and it is better to follow them.
* Increase in breast size
* Increasing the volume of the hips
* Adding volume to the legs
* Injection of gel into bones, tendons, ligaments and muscles
What are dermal fillers made of?
Today, a variety of dermal fillers have been approved by the FDA, and we only use these products at the White House Clinic. FDA-approved fillers have the least side effects and their risks have been investigated during extensive and long-term studies. Be sure to check the FDA approval before injecting the gel. Note that FDA-approved fillers can only be purchased by dermatologists or plastic surgeons.
There are two general categories for dermal fillers. One based on durability and the other based on their components. The grouping that you will read below is a combination of both main categories of dermal fillers.
Most fillers have a temporary effect. Because they are made of materials that are absorbed and destroyed by the body over time. Only one permanent filler has been approved by the FDA that contains substances that cannot be absorbed by the body. Some fillers contain lidocaine in addition to bulking materials, which has been used to reduce pain and discomfort caused by injection.
1. Permanent or non-absorbable fillers
Nowadays, the use of non-absorbable or permanent fillers has been greatly reduced. These types of fillers have many side effects and risks, some of which we have mentioned below. The low safety of permanent fillers has caused only one of them to be approved by the FDA. However, other permanent fillers have EU and Australian approvals.
Here, we need to tell you a very important point about CE or European Union approval. The CE certificate means that in the manufacture of a drug, health rules are followed and the product production process in the manufacturing company is approved. But the CE certificate is not a confirmation of the effectiveness or side effects of a drug (in the short or long term). On the other hand, FDA approval guarantees these things.
Another point is that gel injection using non-absorbable fillers is only allowed for deep wrinkles. The injection of these fillers to remove surface wrinkles has been banned all over the world.